Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My doctor hugged me today

My general practitioner who has been monitoring my blood pressure since I moved to Chicago hugged me today. He's the doctor who ordered my routine colonoscopy because I turned 50. I haven't seen him since December, since before I learned I had cancer. After I learned the results of my colonoscopy and after my surgery (I think), I called him to thank him for making me get a colonoscopy. It saved my life. Today he told me he orders them all the time for people turning 50, but that they don't follow through. But I've heard a lot of people say their doctors haven't scheduled a colonoscopy for them at age 50 (or their parents).

So anyway, he ordered another CAT scan for me because he saw some "nodes in my lung" from the previous CAT scan. "It's probably nothing," he said, "but I'm taking extra precaution now." I told him about a couple of other aches and pains I've been having, and he ordered a couple of other tests for those, X-Rays for one and blood for the other.

Then, when he was about to leave the examining room, he sort of held his arms out, indicating he wanted to hug me. So I stood from my chair and gave him a hug.

I thought that was very sweet.

No comments: