Friday, September 11, 2009

Livering it up

I walked in the the oncologist office today feeling plump, healthy, and happy. The miniature Asian nurse (who takes my vitals, including weight) and I talk about my fat. "Do you exercise?" she asks. "Yes, almost every day." "Do you eat ice cream late at night?" she asks. "Rarely; almost never" (Bob finishes it off before I can get to it). "I do sneak a Bit o' Honey or two" (probably why I have no teeth). "Do you eat pasta?" she asks. Guilty. I'm a carb freak.

"Well, it gets harder as we get older," she proclaims. So within five minutes of my visit, she has called me fat and old. But I forgive her because she's adorable.

The doctor, also miniature, comes in. He's an old grouch, but I think he likes me so he smiles occasionally in my presence. "How do you feel?" he asks. "Terrific!" I answer truthfully. "Except that your nurse just called me fat and old."

He ignores this. As he does most things I say. Pity too because I try so hard.

Then I ask him if a lot of his patients die. "Some do. Some don't," he says. (That ole rascal, such an encourager.)

"But you're doing good," he says. I dismiss the compliment. Really, I'm not doing anything. Just staying alive.

Then I ask him some question about cancer returning, etc., etc. The fear all cancer patients live with, at least in the backs of their minds. I feel so good right now, though, the question was really just a flippant, "How 'bout those Sox?"-type question. Nothing serious.

Then he lays it on me. "Well, you've only got two and a half more years before you're clear. Most cancers return by four and a half, five years." I know this, of course, but still, I was thinking I was already in the clear. Not really, but sort of. And I can't help but remember Leroy Sievers who died recently. He had colon cancer, was fine four years, then got brain cancer.

But my doc says, colon cancer, if it comes back, most likely shows up in the liver, which is, I think, the organ that removes all toxins. And wine, I believe, is a toxin.

Or is it? Could it be, a preservative? I should probably find out before the weekend starts.

6 comments:

Kate Elliott, editor, LWT said...

I asked the Google and found this “Our epidemiologic study suggests that wine consumption may influence survival among a subset of colorectal cancer patients, specifically those with family history of the disease," said Dr. Jason Zell, assistant clinical professor of medicine at UC Irvine.
The study, published recently in the journal Nutrition and Cancer, reported that moderate wine consumption was associated with improved survival statistics. Indeed, 75 per cent of such patients were alive after 10 years of initial diagnosis, compared to 47 per cent of such patients who did not regularly drink wine.

Terri said...

Moderate??!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Terri, I was just reading your new blog and I thot I'd say hi from all your old friends in Nashville at the old BSSB!! We miss you still and love your blogs, I just don't hardly ever respond back.Just wanted to say that you're doing good girl, and for you to keep doing what you're doing, and stay positive.I had that bladder cancer over 20 years ago, and it's never come back, but I still go every year to get checked, so you have to stay on top of this...Tell Bob I said hello and you all take care. Blessings, Janet

Val said...

I had to undergo "the liver protocol" on my latest CT scan (higher dose of contrast media, injected rapidly to produce a nuclear-force hot flash!) since they were watching a cyst on my liver; fortunately they concluded it weren't nuthin'...

Roxanne said...

That's a lot of info.. Thanks a lot.Nice post!

Washington said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.